Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My other grandma

Both of my grandma's are very special, in different ways. This grandma was part of a family owned business and always liked to make sure her make up and hair were done and her clothes were all pressed and so on before she went to work. Being that with all the grandkids on this side of the family, there were only 2 girls, I have to admit, that I think I may have gotten a little spoiled during my day. The other girl, was 11 years older than me, so for the most part, when I was growing up, it was just me and all the boys.

I can remember several shopping excursions that we took. I espcially remember this velvet blazer jacket she bought be. It was burgundy. It also had a matching plaid wool skirt that went with it. I liked to wear the jacket with jeans. Let me tell you, I thought I was styling. I also remember this one swimsuit she bought me one year at the mall. It was a Catlina brand. Back then, it was major expensive. I think I might remember the words, "don't tell your dad". I think after this meaning years I might be safe in finally letting that out.

When I was little I used to stay with grandma alot when my aunt was still at home. Now, I can't really say that I remember this, but I had long hair, and I don't think they had a blow dryer, but to dry my hair, I used to start the clothes dryer and hold my head in it. I guess it sounds like something I might have done!! I used to ride with my grandma to take my aunt back to Kirksville to college. I always hated when it was time for her to go back.

It was this grandma who got me to drinking hot tea, not that I drink it much these days. And when she irons she starches everything, so if you don't want your underwear stiff, you'd better hide them!! And she makes the best creamed lima beans. Nobody in the world can make them like she does. However; she also likes to put coconut in alot of stuff as well as alot of extracts....I wish I could tell her to hold off on some of this but in lieu of hurting her feelings, I'll let it go. But one of the funniest things I remember of late, is she will make a pie or cake for you and it will all be wrapped up in tin foil, but you can guarantee that when you open it up it will be missing one piece!!! (she keeps one piece for herself)

How blessed I have been to have my grandma in my life for the past 40 yrs! I look forward to many more.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Your grandma sounds like mine to a T!!! She starches everything and puts coconut in EVERYTHING!!! She is the prissiest 83 year old we know and doesn't go anywhere that she isn't dressed up with all her jewels on! I am also blessed to have my grandma and grandad still living, although it is a matter of days for my grandad! We are very spoiled!

Megan said...

Very well said! I am thankful and blessed to call her my grandma, too. She is an amazing woman and I'm so glad our kids have gotten to know her as well.

Jackie said...

Leslie, this was a great post!! I"m thankful that my kids know their great grandparents too...they don't appreciate now either.

Jackie