Friday, November 21, 2008

Alumni Basketball...Um, Am I Too Old?

So as I was saying, we are into basketball now. Chase's season in middle school has started. Chesley is old enough this year to play in the Lion's Club Basketball that starts in March, several weeks in a row of tournaments here - there - and yonder. But, there other leagues going on such as the Moberly League that she could be playing in to get some experience. The only problem was, nobody was organizing a team for her age group. I got spoiled when Chase was younger as one of the boys always had a dad that was coach and it was easy, take him to practice, show up at the games, my job was complete. But with Chelsey, not the case. So I decided to coach. Ok, it's been a few years since I played, um, like 21 to be exact. Oh, I play in the drive way and smoke Chase every once in a while but I certainly have to be careful or he'll make me eat one since this 5'9" thirteen year old towers over his 5'4" mom. Anyway, I have gotten a team together and we're working out some practice times. I can do this coaching thing, how hard can it be?

So on to the alumni thing..... I was reading the local paper Wednesday night and I see the article about a South Shelby Alumni Game to be held in December, if interested, contact..... boy oh boy, here's my chance, to remember how it's all done. Problem is, I don't know if this out of shape almost 40 body can make it up and down the court without frothing at the mouth. Guess we'll find out. Sounds fun and surely they'll group all of us oldies together playing against each other so we can all pant at the same rate. Wish me luck!!! Interesting enough, one of the contacts to sign up for the game is Thad Requet, brought back some high school playing memories of my senior year. Thad and I were in yearbook and journalism together and we both used to shoot some pretty long shots. Of course these days those would be known as "3 pointers". I played so long ago it was just a long shot that still only netted 2 points for swishing the net. Anyway, everyday after we'd had a game, Thad and I would see who had more points the night before. Kind of a little competition we had. I'll have to see if he still remembers.

No comments: